Thursday 15 January 2015

Blowing the whistle on the violent and corrupt world of bailiffs | Daily Mail Online

Blowing the whistle on the violent and corrupt world of bailiffs | Daily Mail Online

In a nine month long investigation, BBC reporter Jim Wheble worked undercover for two of Britain's largest bailiff companies. Here, in a shocking report written exclusively for The Mail on Sunday, he describes how he saw first hand how the public are lied to, cheated and threatened by people who are supposed to be official court representatives....
It's nine am and my first day in my new job. My colleague knocks on one of our clients' doors who is late with their payments. There's no answer. 
With astonishing nonchalance, the former policeman takes out what looks like a credit card from his wallet and uses it to break into the house. I stand by in amazement as he saunters inside and begins to inspect what of value we can take.
There's nothing, so we leave. 
Just one hour later, I'm doorknocking a house with another colleague who tells the family inside they owe double what they really do. They pay up immediately. It's worth it just to get rid of us.
For the last nine months I've been working undercover as a bailiff as part of a BBC investigation. What I discovered during this time about the methods bailiffs employ to extort money from debtors shocked me to the core.


Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-406678/Blowing-whistle-violent-corrupt-world-bailiffs.html#ixzz3Ow4B8d65
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment